This website is for posting the correspondence between Mrs. Loewenthal's sixth grade classes at Solomon Schechter School in New Jersey and Jonathan Reichel, who is a Peace Corps Volunteer, teaching secondary school science in Namibia, and his students.

Friday, December 10, 2004

Some Namibian Students





Hi Students at Solomon Schechter:
I am glad to hear you have received the aerogram I sent from Namibia! I hope you will find this information interesting.

For Your Information (FYI): Namibia celebrated "Human Rights Day" today, Fri, November 10. Unfortunately, the other Peace Corps volunteers and I, as well as our Namibian trainers, had to work.. no rest for the weary. I am not aware of any special ceremonies or ways of celebrating the holiday.. but I'm sure the reason Human Rights Day is a holiday is partly to spread awareness about civil rights and respecting other people. Pretty nice!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy these two pictures. For two weeks, I have been a teacher at the Iihenda Junior Secondary School in Oshitayi, Namibia. This was for my colleagues and me to get some practice at teaching. The first picture is of one of the classes I've been teaching.

In January, I will get move to a new village and will get all new classes at a new school. I will live and teach there for two years. The name of that village is Omalala. And the second picture is of the school I'll be teaching at - Mvula Junior Secondary School.


-Mr. Reichel

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that it is really cool that you are doing this, and from the picture it looks like you have a good bunch of kids. The school looks kind of small, is it like a one room school house? Are you (going to be) teaching one grade, or a few grades together in one class? In the photo it is hard to tell. I really appriciate what you are doing for these Namibian students.

--Nikki Adler

5:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mr.Reichel!
I had a few questions:
What grade/s are you teaching?
Are there a lot of kids in your class?
Are some of the grades combined?
Do you mostly speak to them in their language?
Is it hard to speak in their language?
I hope you had been having a good time in Namibia.

Rachel Grossman

6:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Mr reichel, I hope your having a good time in Namibia. I think it's good of you to go to Namibia and help them.

--jeff

8:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, Mr Reichel, I hope your having a good time in Namibia. It looks like you've already have the kids that your going to be teaching. I think it's very good of you to help kids in Namibia.

-=-~jeff

8:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, Mr Reichel, I hope your having a good time in Namibia. It looks like you've already have the kids that your going to be teaching. I think it's very good of you to help kids in Namibia.

-=-~jeff

8:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Reichel,

6:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Reichel,
When I looked at the picture, it looked like your students were having a lot of fun. I also saw that the wood on some of the desks and chairs had been chipped off. I understand Namibia is a more or less poor country, but does the government supply money for the school items to be bought? Or is the school a privately-funded school? Also, is the whole school in one classroom?

--Michael Kandel

7:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Reichel,
Are you teaching anything else besides science? Is it fun teaching? Did the weather change and get colder?
- Alison

8:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1/3/05
Hi Mr. Riechel, how is it? In About how many days/months/years will you be coming back ( if you know ) Do you have more than one class? how many periods are there in a day? when does school let out? When's Lunch? Could you assign us student-pen-pals (If your school has computer/internet access) Could you send us ( single )pictures of your students attatched to their name,history, and a little about themselves and their family? It would be great.
Thanks,
Warren F. Brodsky

9:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Reichel

Happy New Year! I hope you are having fun in Namibia. How are the people there? Do you have to speak another language to communicate? What are you teaching to the class? When you come back from Namibia I hope you can come to Solomon Schechter and tell us what happened there.

Have Fun!
From,
Benjamin Cohen
6-3 Loewenthal

7:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Reichel,
It's nice to see pitures of your students. How is Namibia? Do you miss America? How are your students?
-Zivi

3:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Reicher,
How's Namibia? I have a question, how old is your oldest student? How old is your youngest student?

3:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi my name is jacob why do they make clicking sounds

6:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home